Sunday, January 16, 2011

Brookline Snow

I have sorely neglected VBP - not for lack of ideas, but more due to a shortage of hours in the day.

I do love snow, and we got a heap last Tuesday night and Wednesday in Brookline. I even managed to get out in it with the G12 to grab a taste of the day; as always, I wish I had had more time. It sometimes seems as if I spend more time behind the scenes, indoors on my computer, than I do outside with my camera.  It was a wet, heavy snow, about a foot and a half, I think, when all was said and done.

Here are a few shots from my beloved Coolidge Corner, slightly re-worked since I originally posted them on Edgartown News. I am thoroughly enjoying my new-found opportunity (have I mentioned lately how glad I am to be finished with school?) to re-immerse myself in my photography - my first love, really, especially black and white. I am devouring every Photoshop course and tutorial I can get my hands on and loving every minute of it.





Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Intersection of Harvard and Beacon. The automobile traffic was at a minimum, with a predominance of pedestrians, most on a snow holiday.






Coolidge Corner, Brookline
This woman had only a newspaper with which to shield herself from the wind and snow and only reluctantly allowed me to assist her across the slippery train tracks (why does the T have that slippery rubber surface on the crosswalk, I wonder?).

Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Coolidge Corner T-stop, looking in-bound towards Kenmore Square. Pelham Hall on the left, Trader Joe's and the post office on the right.

Coolidge Corner, Brookline
The old SS Pierce building, now Walgreen's, at the intersection of Beacon and Harvard. I think the building is registered as a historic landmark. I do remember its having been SS Pierce when I lived in Brookline back in the 60s - I remember that it was kind of a gourmet grocery store, with wine and spices.


Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Beacon Street, looking west, and outbound.


Coolidge Corner, Brookline
T-stop, looking out-bound.


Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Snowed in.


Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Beacon Street, near Dunkin' Donuts. The shop owners do a decent job of clearing the sidewalks, but because the walkways are narrower with the snow piled up on the sides, and I happen to walk much faster than most people, I do most of my walking in the bike lanes (facing traffic, of course).


Coolidge Corner, Brookline
This was the third bicyclist I saw in the half an hour I was out and about. Notice that she has only temporarily dismounted and is poised to hop on and keep riding (which she did as soon as she got across the tracks and onto Beacon Street). At one point she gave me a really funny look, as if I was the weird one.

Coolidge Corner, Brookline
This is one of my favorites from this day - the woman in black totally makes this photo work. And yes, this was one of those times that I was able to see what I wanted - I saw that woman and waited for her to walk into position. I love her.





Coolidge Corner, Brookline
This shot I thought for sure would be a throw-away, but this may be my favorite from the day. I love the "in your face" feel of this one (literally), and the motion.





Coolidge Corner, Brookline
Under the awning, corner of Beacon and Pleasant. At first I shot with the light behind me, towards the building, but quickly realized it would be a better photograph with the light coming through the ice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jenni. I miss Brookline, too, but do get back there every now and then. It's a great town. The best, really. Glad you like the photos. I will check out your page.

    ReplyDelete